Thursday, September 28, 2006

Crikey!

Barbara Walters interview with Terri Irwin last night was simply heartbreaking. Larry and I were lying in bed watching it, and the tears just rolled down my cheek. The viewers could hear the love in her voice and her determination to continue her husband's work at the zoo and to encourage everyone to be "Wildlife Warriors." They also showed footage of their daughter Bindi and her speech at her dad's memorial. Poor Terri couldn't even speak and was in tears the whole time.

Bob, their son, worries me the most though. He's not old enough to have strong memories of his father, and he will be bombarded the rest of his life with footage and people telling him how great his dad was. I can just see him being so pissed that he never was able to have a relationship with his dad and shunning the whole animal community. I sincerely hope and pray that he will have someone to help him work through that kind of emotion. What a huge void in his little life already.

When Barbara Walters asked Terri what she would miss the most, she tearfully said, "Steve was fun. He didn't sweat the small stuff." I often say that about Larry, "He makes me laugh." I feel as long as you love one another and can laugh together, you can survive anything. I hope Terri Irwin is able to find the laughter again soon.

No comments: