Monday, September 25, 2006

RIP Cyst

We arrived at the hospital at 8:00 and after getting Peyton registered and all, he was finally called back for prep at about 10:45. We entertained him by playing UNO, which is the champion of the world, and reading a new dinosaur book we bought him. He was such a big boy. They made him walk back to the OR without us or any sedative, then had him lay down on the table and gave him the mask to put him to sleep before they started the IV. The nurse told us afterwards, he did great.

The procedure itself only took 16 minutes, and we were back in the recovery room with him just after he woke up. That was really the only time he was upset, and understandably so. He looked so little curled up on his side with the hospital blankets pulled up around him. After 15 minutes or so, he had calmed down, and the nurse brought him a popsicle. After that, we played more UNO waiting for him to finish the bag of fluids.

They finally took him back to the original waiting area about an hour after the surgery, and the nurse removed all the heart monitors and IV (which he did, with Peyton watching and Peyton didn't even feel it.) After that, Peyton wanted to get dressed and he hopped off the bed and grabbed a puzzle to play with. I thought he would be groggy for most the day, but apparently, he has energy to spare. We had to work to keep him somewhat calm that afternoon and he never really complained of any pain.

We go back next Tuesday so they can look over it and remove the butterfly band-aid, and then he will be good as new. No outer stiches to remove, so hopefully not too bad a scar.

Thanks for all your comments and prayers! I'm so glad this is over. :)


Chelle said...

What a trooper! I'm glad to hear that it went well. How are YOU doing, though? These things are almost as tough on the mommy as they are on the kiddo.

Ballpoint Wren said...

Wow... when my oldest had eye surgery, they gave him an oral sedative first, and let us stay with him, and THEN they put in the IV.

When our little guy woke up, he was agitated, too. I think it must be a confusing, awful feeling for them to come out of the anesthetic.