Monday, October 02, 2006

A Wee Bit Peeved

Tonight, we celebrate Yom Kippur as all good Jewish folk should do. The thing is, Larry's family are not practicing Jews. This fact alone normally would not bother me as I know there are many a people who celebrate holidays even though they're aren't "strict" with their faith/beliefs/whatever at other times. What bothers me is we are "breaking the fast" at Larry's aunt house and she is serving fish, bagels and egg salad, as apparently, we are allowed dairy products, but not meat. This still doesn't bother me, I can eat fish, whatever, no big deal. Here's what bothers me, she's not "allowing" us to bring food the boys will like, ie. chicken nuggets, ham sandwich, etc. I still wouldn't have a problem with this if they went to synagogue or actually meant any of the celebration. I daresay their refrigerator will have meat in it somewhere whether we are eating it tonight or not, and their kitchen definitely is not kosher.

Larry's mom offered to feed the boys at her house (which is next door) before we went, but then what am I going to do with the boys while I eat in this kid unfriendly house? Instead, I plan on taking Peyton some shrimp (which isn't Kosher! but isn't meat) and Shey a PB&J. Oy Vey.

No comments: