Thursday, August 31, 2006

Butt Swatter

This morning as I was pulling away from Peyton's school, I noticed he was sitting on the bench by his teacher. I pulled back in the spot to check on him, see if he was in trouble, or just sitting. I called for him to come over to the fence and his teacher told him to tell me what he did. I asked him and of course, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I dunno." He wouldn't say, and then started crying, so his teacher walked over and let me know that he was hitting kid's butts, which I knew about, and we've been working on, but Peyton's just having a hard time grasping why other people don't like this. The thing is, he's not doing it to be mean, it's more the affectionate, hey, we're on a football team together, butt swat.

Peyton's a touchy-feely kid. He always has a hand on someone's ear, or head, or face, and now their butts. I wonder even if the other kids would notice if the teacher hadn't pointed it out, but now they have, so the kids tell on him when he does it. I felt so bad for him, with the tears welling up in his eyes, and his little voice saying, "I'm trying to remember." I know you are, sweetie, just wait, in 12 years, it will be ok again.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Hey, at least he isn't squeezing boobs, you know...yet :)

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest child...he can swat mine in a few weeks.
"Hey teacher leave that kid alone!"

Ballpoint Wren said...

Let's hear it for grandmommies who can quote Pink Floyd!

It's so hard to be a kid sometimes, learning all these confusing grownup rules.